The complexity of Reishi mushroom can be lended to sweets and savories alike. Here’s a savory gravy that’s fit to marinade any hearty mushroom, drizzled on grilled meats or poured onto a piping pile of mashed potatoes. If you’re local to Sonoma County, I love to use Mycopia’s Trumpet Royale mushrooms grilled outdoors or, in the winter months, on my George Foreman grill!
For the Reishi extract I use straight Reishi tincture from Farmacopia – available at the Tincture Bar in 1, 2, 4, or 8 oz bottles. It’s so much richer than any other Reishi extract I’ve tried and is key to the robust flavor and viscosity it imparts to this sauce.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ cup brown onion
- ½ c Marsala wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- ½ tsp beef Better than Bouillon
- 4 droppersful Reishi tincture from Farmacopia
- + pinch of brown sugar (to taste)
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan. Once sizzling, tip in the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt.
- Cook over a low heat until the onions are translucent then stir in the flour.
- Cook for 1 min to get rid of the raw flour taste then pour in the Marsala and stock.
- Add bouillon. Simmer.
- Add Reishi tincture.
- Continue to simmer away until reduced by two thirds.
- Taste for seasoning then serve – delicious on grilled Trumpet mushrooms, mashed potatoes, steak or chicken.