What’s better than a piping hot mug of Reishi Roast? …quite possibly a steaming bundle of Reishi Roast Cinnamon Rolls! The deeply rich, slightly bitter, dark cacao-ness of Reishi Roast is a perfect match for almost anything robust and earthy in your recipe repertoire. Here I used a strongly brewed cup of Reishi Roast to replace some of the liquid content in this Vegan Cinnamon Roll recipe adapted from the Minimalist Baker.
- 1 packet instant (or rapid-rise) yeast
- 1/4 cup (240 ml) unsweetened plain almond milk
- 3/4 cup strongly brewed Reishi Roast
- 1/2 cup Earth balance (vegan butter), divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2.5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 tsps ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp organic brown sugar, divided
- In a large sauce pan, heat the almond milk, pre-brewed Reishi Roast and 3 tbsp Earth Balance until warm and melted, never reaching boiling. Remove from heat and let cool to 110 degrees F or the temperature of bath water. It should be warm but not too hot or it will kill the yeast.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on yeast. Let activate for 10 minutes. Then add 1 tbsp sugar and the salt and stir.
- Next add in flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go (you may not add it all). The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball (be careful not to overmix). Rinse your mixing bowl out, coat it with coconut oil, and add your dough ball back in. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. Brush with 3 tbsp melted Earth Balance and top with 3/4 cup sugar and cinnamon (to taste).
- Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. Then with a serrated knife or a string of floss, cut the dough into 1.5 – 2 inch sections and position in a well-buttered 8×8-inch square or comparable sized round pan (you should have about 10 rolls). Brush with remaining 2 tbsp Earth Balance (melted) and cover with plastic wrap. Set on top of the oven to let rise again while you preheat oven to 350 degrees F .
- Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve immediately.
- Optional: top with a Super Simple Glaze for extra yumminess and moisture.
SIMPLE SUGAR GLAZE
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup almond milk
Place them in a small sauce pan and whisk while bringing to a boil. Whisk and boil for 2 minutes.